Training & Recruitment
The Training and Recruiting Bureau was established to better provide required Department, state and federal training to all police department personnel and is responsible for planning, developing and evaluating training programs. Training provided to sworn personnel includes: firearms, defensive tactics, physical fitness, first aid, CPR, legal updates, search and seizure, and other areas mandated by State or Federal law. Other duties include maintaining training records using a database, administering the training budget, developing and selecting instructors, orientation of all police recruits, notifying personnel of required training, and scheduling the training classrooms.
City of Prescott Employment Applications may be obtained online or by contacting the Human Resources Department at 928 777-1347. Applications are available and accepted only during active recruitment periods. Please see the Employment Page for current job postings.
All applicants must meet the following requirements in order to apply for the entry level position of Police Officer:
- Minimum Age: Must be at least 20 years and 6 months at time of written examination.
- Education: High School Diploma or G.E.D.
- Military Service: Must have an Honorable Discharge.
- Citizenship: Must be a United States Citizen at the time of application.
All applications are screened to determine if the applicant meets the minimum requirements and qualifies for further consideration.
Applicants can not have any of the following:
- Felony conviction
- Misdemeanor or Felony conviction involving family violence.
- Is currently under indictment for any criminal offense.
- Is prohibited by state or federal law from operating a motor vehicle
- Is prohibited by state or federal law from possessing firearms or ammunition.
- For more information on minimum requirements please visit the Arizona Peace Officer and Standards website.
The salary range for Prescott Police Officers is $42,660—$60,736
The Police Officer Trainee is paid at entry-level position while attending the 660 hour, 17 week Police Academy and during the fourteen weeks of Field Training. Entry level police officers serve a 12 month probationary period from the date of hire.
$1.00/hr each or $1.75/hr for 2 (maximum 2) for the following speciality positions:
- Accident Reconstruction
- Drug Recognition Expert (DRE)
- Field Training Officer (FTO) (when assigned)
- Investigations (when assigned)
- Lead Police Officer (LPO)
- Range Master (when assigned)
- Special Weapons and Tactics (when assigned)
- K-9 (when assigned)
The Department considers employment applications for Police Officers from two sources:
- Regular recruitment process for new officers.
- Arizona Certified Officers who are currently working as Police Officers in Arizona. Certified officers from other states may be eligible as well.
If you have additional questions, the Prescott Police Department welcomes inquires, please contact Officer David Fuller at 928-777-1915 or via email.